Tuesday, July 11, 2006

SWEET BRAZILIAN PHILLY SOUL

It was Milton Nascimento that got me into Brazilian pop music. Jobim and Gilberto were closer to cool jazz. Caetano and Gil were OK but also a little too messy sometimes. Jorge Ben and Tim Maia would come later. But Milton's sense of melody -- up and down the scales and octaves, often with profound, sensuous melancholy, and with a rich low end and angelic falsetto -- just slayed me.

Cassiano never had Milton's career in terms of success or longevity and it would be hard for most anyone to match Milton's talent. However, Cassiano did have his own magic, based on a similarly heart-rending melodic and on a deep appreciation for American soul and r&b, especially the Philly style. Maybe Donny Hathaway and his combination of groove and sweetness would be a good comparison. Here are a couple of tracks:

CASSIANO -- Nao Fique Triste
This is that melodic sense I'm talking about. Also check out the backing harmonies and understated orchestrations.

CASSIANO -- (I don't have the title)
Here's a groovy hustle that was given to me by my friend, Greg Caz, who is the biggest authority I know on Brazilian pop of the 60s/70s. This is a track he spins at his all-Brazilian dance night, Brazilian Beat, at Black Betty in Brooklyn.

MILTON NASCIMENTO -- Tudo Que Voce Podia Ser
So this might be an obvious choice. This is the song that did it for me (though I believe it is actually sung by Milton's musical partner at the time, Lo Borges). And it's as good as music gets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home